Have you been to Barber? No, we aren’t talking about the place where you get your “mopped cropped,” we’re talking about Barber as in Barber Vintage Festival as in held at the Barber Motorsports Park as in home of the renowned Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, Alabama – whew that is a mouthful. If you haven’t been and you are a fan of motorsports of any kind, this is a place you have got to see.
Built by business executive George Barber, the Barber Motorsports park hosts a museum, a proving grounds, and a road racing track – all of which draw auto and motorcycle races, conventions and festivals throughout the year. Barber, who raced Porches in his early days, began collecting and restoring classic cars and motorcycles more than 25 years ago. He started the museum in a warehouse before the current five-story glass, steel and concrete structure was constructed. The Barber museum is known for its design and its eye-catching displays of motorcycle towers and machines suspended from walls. Some would call it a motorcycle Disneyland!!
Don’t take our word for it, check out this YouTube video highlight reel– we can’t take credit for the filming — we leave that to MotorWeek who posted the video on YouTube.
Barber — Fast Facts:
- Barber Motorsports Park is a 830-acre multi-purpose racing facility/park
- Park grounds contain a 16-turn, 2.38-mile (3.83 km) road race track open to the public
- The Barber track is home to the Porsche Sport Driving School
- Also onsite is the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum, which houses more than 1450 vintage and modern motorcycles and racing cars
- Recognized by Guinness World Records as the largest motorcycle museum in the world
- Museum features the world’s most extensive Lotus collection, anchored by the Lotus 21
Looking for more information or want to make the trip? Barber has that covered, visit the Barber Motorsports website to plan your route. Want to checkout their biggest event? October 9-11 Barber host its Annual Barber Vintage Festival. The Workshop Hero team will be there in both the Fan Zone and at B3 and B4 of the Swap Meet, in fact we’re a major sponsor!!